HOW TO make cornflake treats with cake batter crumble
I’m more comfortable in a gallery or craft room than a kitchen, but I do have one signature dish that I make very well. I always make my Hawaiian cornflake treats for friend’s potlucks and picnics or for my boyfriend when he goes away on long business trips. It’s a recipe I came up with that uses a lot of sugar, butter, and sugar, and butter…and more sugar. It’s so bad, but so good!
A few days ago, I stumbled across a brilliantly simple recipe for cake-flavored crispy rice cereal treats. I was floored! FYI, I am a big huge cake addict. I love cake, cake batter, cake batter ice cream, anything cake or cake batter flavored! I have never thought of combining the flavors. I’ll be joining some friends for a Christmas potluck dinner who are expecting my signature dessert, but I’m going to surprise them with a new version! I hope they like it!
Total Time: Servings: 24 (My friends usually have multiple servings.)
Ingredients for cake batter crumble
1/2 cup of condensed milk
1 cup vanilla cake mix
Ingredients for cornflake treats
2 10-ounce bags of miniature marshmallows (Smaller marshmallows melt faster then regular sized ones.)
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup vanilla cake mix
1 12-ounce box of cornflakes
1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 large pot
1 9″X12″ cake pan
measuring cups and spoons
1 small bowl
Directions for cake batter crumble
- Combine the condensed milk and cake mix in a small bowl. It will come out in a crumbly cookie dough consistency. Set it aside. That’s it!
Directions for cornflake treats
- Melt the entire stick of butter in a large pot on low medium heat.
- Add the cake mix and stir until the cake mix lumps are gone.
- Add 1 bag of marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are mostly melted.
- Add the second bag of marshmallows and stir. If you like marshmallow chunks don’t let them melt.
- Add half of the box of cornflakes and fully coat.
- Add half of the remaining cornflakes and fully incorporate.
- Add the remaining cornflakes and fully incorporate.
- Take half of the cornflake mixture and spread out a layer in a 9″x12″ pan.
- Evenly crumble half of the cake batter crumble on top.
- Layer on the remaining cornflake mixture.
- Evenly crumble the remaining cake batter crumble on top.
- Evenly sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Refrigerate the treats for 5-10 minutes to harden.
- Cut the treats into bars and serve!